Thursday, October 23, 2008

Assault is understandable.

Remember a while ago when I posted my list of people I had quit at my studio? As you'll remember, one of them was fired for assaulting another co-worker. Let's review a few of the comments I got.
"Ya know, I actually am not surprised that someone attacked a coworker because of this job. I've felt like doing that once or twice, and SPS was the only job I've ever felt that way about. Which is saying something since I'm in training to be an ER nurse now..."
"Completely agree. I remember one time I was at the sales table, when I had two different parties I needed to sell to, the phone was ringing, the onsite printer was beeping that the toner needed to be changed, there were tons of people waiting and there were not enough staff on---I literally saw myself in my head just losing it right there when a woman was trying to get my attention to ask me something. I have never felt like that in any other job. I didn't really lose it, but I could see it all playing out in my head--me saying, "I WILL GET TO YOU WHEN I HAVE A SECOND!" And doing some kind of karate chop move on everyone. LOL"
And I too know just how angry this job can make you when you feel that no matter what you do, everything is out of your control yet you're going to be held accountable for everything.

It really says something about how employees are treated when something that people can agree on is the fact that the job makes you want to attack people.

No comments: